Forum Discussion

2 months ago

SQL 2014 to 2019 Migration Utility on DC

Hi All,

MYOB has been pushing the upgrade to SQL Server 2019 with emails to the client fairly regularly, however I note that the download has been pulled from MYOB's download page a couple of times already.

Anyway, when executing the SQLServerUpgrade-V1.exe script, we get the following message:

Your environment isn't eligible for an SQL server upgrade due to the
following reasons:

You're using a domain controller

"For security reasons, we can’t install SQL Server 2019 on a domain controller. Contact your IT to remove the Domain controller server"

Now, I'm assuming this is non-negotiable, as SQL shouldn't be running on a DC anyhow.

But I would be interested to know if any other small accounting shops are in fact still running SQL Server on a DC and whether there are any potential shortcuts or workarounds to make the upgrade happen?

I'd rather not migrate MYOB or SQL to a whole new Server when it is currently performing reasonably well.

The installed version is MYOB AO by the way.

• Also a +1 on this. I attempted this update last night for a client (although it didn't fail, it seemed to freeze on the pre-requisite check, so I killed the task), and they are a small shop running on a single server that is a domain controller. And this is a pretty powerful box, with 32Gb of memory, a decent CPU, and enterprise-class SSDs. Separating out the DC is of course do-able, but it would involve major reconfigurations and lots of money for new hardware and/or Microsoft server licenses. 

So, is there any way around this from MYOB's end?

• Not an answer to your question but +1. I would like know how many small shops are running the MYOBAO on a DC. My client only installed the previous version at the beginning of the year and nothing was mentioned then about SQL Server and a Domain Controller. I note that Microsoft only 'recommend' not installing on a DC. So presumably the Microsoft SQL Server installer DOES allow it.