Forum Discussion

31 days ago

Using import sales invoices - Foreign currency issues

I am using a template .csv file to import invoices that are created in an inhouse invoicing system.

Local currency invoices are working great.

But if we have invoiced our overseas customers with a foreign currency it doesn't show up as foreign currency in MYOB nor does it have the Amount(FX), Amt Due(FX) or Currency populated, although the template data imported has the Currency and exchange rate columns populated.

If I edit the invoice in MYOB and change the invoice Currency from our local currency, it does the conversion using MYOB currency (not import data provided) but now appears to be a real foreign currency invoice with all the relevant fields populated.

The data is different to imported data because of the MYOB forex rate used, so the MYOB data does not match our other system.

Has anyone faced this and is there a solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi andy2pintz,

Glad to have you here in the Community Forum!

I see you're trying to import invoices in a foreign currency. Currently, importing foreign currency sales-based transactions is not a feature of the product. All imported foreign currency sales transactions will be imported as the local currency. However, a possible workaround is to import the sales, which will (most likely) all be imported as AUD, then edit the foreign currency sales and change their currency and re-record them. Looking at the sales register, that will put the correct imported sales value in the FX column and the converted amount in the Amount column.

Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Cheers,

Princess

andy2pintz

Hi,

I have the import working but appears to ignore any currency/exch rate info in the import file and saves as local currency. I have edited my export process from our inhouse invoicing system to Give a specific foreign currency invoices to prompt our accounts team to change the currency in MYOB after the import. - We are about to get accounts team to test on a test company and then we will get them to do our normal reporting etc to make sure everything in the system has been updated correctly. I will confirm all is good once that is completed.

As an aside, the log is a bit messy trying to work on errors, and would be helpful to have a pre check for import data for compatibility as having most but not all records loaded makes it difficult to retry and keep abreast of what has been successful. This is particularly difficult when there are hundreds of invoices. The backup/restore concept is a sledge-hammer to hit a nail approach and scary in a multi-user version. Just mention this if you are looking for ways to improve the import process.

andy2pintz

Typo fixed...

Hi,

I have the import working, but appears to ignore any currency/exch rate info in the import file, and saves invoice as local currency in MYOB. I have edited my export process from our inhouse invoicing system, to add a specific list of foreign currency invoices in the export report, to prompt our accounts team to change the currency in MYOB after the import. - We are about to get accounts team to test on a test company and then we will get them to do our normal reporting etc to make sure everything in the system has been updated correctly. I will confirm all is good once that is completed.

As an aside, the import log format is a bit messy trying to work on errors, and it would be helpful to have a pre check for import data for compatibility before saving any invoices, as having most but not all records loaded makes it difficult to retry those in error, and keep abreast of what has been successful. This is particularly difficult when there are hundreds of invoices. The backup/restore concept is a sledge-hammer to hit a nail approach and scary in a multi-user version. Just mention this if you are looking for ways to improve the import process.