Forum Discussion

Karen-Cloncurry
Experienced Cover User
8 months ago

Entering a customer payment to a quote

Hi Team

A customer has made a payment towards a quote that is on my MYOB AccountRight.

When I go to enter the payment the quotes for this client are not on the list in receive payments.

Is there away of entering payment without changing it to an order?

Thanks

Karen

• Hi Karen-Cloncurry

We value your active participation in our forum. 

At present, our application is not configured to accept payments for quotes. This design choice is based on the understanding that a quote represents a potential sale. We acknowledge that not all businesses operate in the same manner, hence the reasoning behind this setup.

We invite you to share your suggestions on the Product Ideas Exchange board. This platform allows our development team to gain a better understanding of your needs and ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Let us know if you require further help.

Thanks,
    Genreve

Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Karen-Cloncurry

We value your active participation in our forum. 

At present, our application is not configured to accept payments for quotes. This design choice is based on the understanding that a quote represents a potential sale. We acknowledge that not all businesses operate in the same manner, hence the reasoning behind this setup.

We invite you to share your suggestions on the Product Ideas Exchange board. This platform allows our development team to gain a better understanding of your needs and ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Let us know if you require further help.

Thanks,
    Genreve

• Hi

We are also having the issue that we take deposits on quotes.

We are in the building trade and take deposits on quotes to secure a booking and cover material costs.

The only way I can see to account for this is to turn the quote into an invoice and take partial payment on it. However, this makes the invoice dated possibly 6 months before the work is done which is not ideal. Has anyone else found another work around?

Thanks

MM

Karen-Cloncurry
      Experienced Cover User

Hi MM

I convert my quote to an order if a deposit is paid. Then to an invoice when job completed.

Not ideal for me but at least the date can be changed.

Karen-Cloncurry

• Hi 

I only have the option to convert a quote to an invoice not an order.

We have MYOB Business Lite and I don't think it is an option.

Probably something for MYOB to look at as it is designed for small business and sole traders who often need to take deposits to cover materials.

Thanks for your assistance.

warm regards

MM

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi MM,

No subscription option in MYOB includes payments against quotes.  Your subscription option does not support orders or payments against them. This means you would need to move to a higher subscription or find a way to work around the limitation. MYOB deliberately restrict features depending on your subscription.

One work around might be to create a liability account  (or category as MYOB think the majority like to call it) called Deposits on Quotes. Then raise a fresh invoice for the deposit amount only with a reference to the quote. The invoice should credit the Deposit on Quotes account/category. Once processed the quote also can be updated to reference the deposit invoice. You may want to discuss the income/GST considerations of any workaround with your tax adviser.

Regards

Gavin