Forum Discussion

LilyUltimate
Experienced User
2 years ago

Random changing of invoice numbers

Good morning

I read previously that the only way we can change the number sequence on a sales invoice to go back to what it should be is to override the invoice number manually - is there a way that the numbers never go out of sequence and only ever picks up the next number in line 

We have a case where we pick up a back order and do a sales invoice the next number that come up for a new invoice is the one after the back order - we do not want that we want the number to be the next one available after the lastest new sales invoice was raised.

How do I fix this

thanks

• Hi LilyUltimate

Thanks for your post and Welcome here in the Community Forum. Apologies for the delayed response. I hope you find it a useful tool.

Generally, this happens that the invoice number is out of sequence if the transactions are deleted or the transactions are recorded out of order. In this situation, you may go to the invoice number field on the required sale >> update the invoice number on that field to be the required number before recording the invoice.

Also, you may need to jump to a number in the future sequence for this to pick up (i.e. if the last number in sequence was 100, the next number should be 101. If manually updating the number to this and recording it doesn't make the next number 102, you may try jumping to something like 120 and see if it picks up from here. This will help to work out where the numbering is stuck.

Please don't hesitate to post again if you need help in the future.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
    Leneth