Forum Discussion

AMJ1
Experienced User
7 days ago

ATO Issue -Cessation date cannot be before commencement date

We have an employee who left the organisation two years ago. This employee has started part tim work with us and I have just gone and reactivated the old "card".  So every payroll that is uploaded is now accepted with an error message. What should I do? What did I do wrong ?

Regards Annemarie

• Hey AMJ1,

You're welcome! Sure thing. Just create a post again if you encounter any issues.

Best regards,

Doreen

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi there AMJ1,

I see that the error about the cessation date being before the commencement date is causing issues, and I'm here to help you with that. It looks like the error message "Cessation date cannot be before the commencement date" is occurring because the reactivated employee card has conflicting dates. Here’s what you can do to resolve this:

• Check the Dates: Go to the employee card and ensure that the commencement date is set correctly. The commencement date should be the date when the employee originally started working with your organisation.
    • Update the Cessation Date: If the employee had a cessation date from their previous employment period, make sure it is removed or updated to reflect their new employment status. You can do this by going to the STP (Single Touch Payroll) reporting centre, navigating to the Employee terminations tab, and updating the termination details.

Best regards,

Doreen

AMJ1
    Experienced User

I have gone to STP and amended the cessation date to 2022 . Wil go and remove the cessation from the STP

Thanks 

Will let you know next week's payroll if this worked 

Thanks again

Annemarie

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hey AMJ1,

You're welcome! Sure thing. Just create a post again if you encounter any issues.

Best regards,

Doreen