Forum Discussion

Tango
Contributing User
4 years ago

To Do List Accounts Payable defaulting to cheque

Hi All,

When choosing the Accounts Payable listing in the To Do List to pay suppliers, I thought you could check the box of the invoices to be paid and as I have set up the bank account to be linked to Purchase Invoices that they should go straight to be paid by Electronic Transfer.  If I do this, it defaults to cheque and they end up in the print cheques field.  Am I doing something wrong as I don't want to go into each invoice and check Electronic transfer as it is a waste of time...any suggestions please?

• Hi Tango 

I would have a guess that Setup>>Linked Accounts>>Accounts & Banking - the Bank Account for Electronic Payments is not listed as 1-1111 Electronic Clearing Account. Here is why I think that:

• The Bank Account for Electronic Payments shouldn't appear in the Pay From Account list in the Prepare Electronic Payments.
    • Even if you didn't select Electronic Payment in the Pay Bills but do have the appropriate set Pay from Account you would get the statement text field in that window, not the payee.

I would recommend reviewing what account you have listed as the Bank Account for Electronic Payments (Setup>>Linked Accounts>>Accounts & Banking). You would want to set that account to that 1-1111 Electronic Clearing account OR set the Bank Account for Paying Bills in the Purchases Linked Account to be that listed account.

• Hi Tango 

When you are using the To Do List>>Accounts Payable to pay bills the bank account that is used would be the bank account that is listed as the Bank Account for Paying Bills  - Setup>>Linked Accounts>>Purchase Accounts.  As such, if you would like those transactions to go through to a specific bank account in the software, such as the Electronic Clearing account, you would need to set that account as the Bank Account for Paying Bills.

You also brought up cheque printing, setting the Bank Account for Pay Bills to be a different account will not update those transactions to be Cheque Already Printed. By default, all transactions will have that option unticked. However, if you are wishing to have that option enabled so that cheques are marked as already printed, you want to enable Default Cheque to Already Printed in Setup>>Preferences>>Banking. Note: This will update all transactions going forward, you are not able to specify only transactions from the To Do List or using a specific bank account will be marked as Cheque Already Printed.

Tango
      Contributing User

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have set this up exactly as noted below.  I went into the To Do List - ticked the invoice I want to pay and hit pay bills and it still doesn't end up in the Prepare Electronic Payments field.  If I go into each invoice and check the Electronic Transfer box at the top and then record, it ends up in the Prepare Electronic Payments to create the bank file so not sure why this is not working??  I have atttached screen shots so you can see the steps and check if I am just missing something in the setup.  Many thanks ~

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi Tango 

I would have a guess that Setup>>Linked Accounts>>Accounts & Banking - the Bank Account for Electronic Payments is not listed as 1-1111 Electronic Clearing Account. Here is why I think that:

• The Bank Account for Electronic Payments shouldn't appear in the Pay From Account list in the Prepare Electronic Payments.
        • Even if you didn't select Electronic Payment in the Pay Bills but do have the appropriate set Pay from Account you would get the statement text field in that window, not the payee.

I would recommend reviewing what account you have listed as the Bank Account for Electronic Payments (Setup>>Linked Accounts>>Accounts & Banking). You would want to set that account to that 1-1111 Electronic Clearing account OR set the Bank Account for Paying Bills in the Purchases Linked Account to be that listed account.